Moving to Bramakingblog.com

I’ve moved to a fully fledged and hopefully prettier wordpress site hosted at http://www.bramakingblog.com I have so many new posts planned for the future and I hope you can join me at my new home.

Advertisements

Bra Measurement Observations

Just an observation about measuring the ribcage underbust and whether to add +4 or not. I’ve gone from a 46DDD to a 36D and what I’ve noticed is as I’ve lost a lot of fat around my ribcage I can’t tolerate a band that is the exact same size as my underbust measurement as I used to so I’ve started to add 2-4″ to the measurement.
 
So while there might be a classically perfect way of measuring bras to have them fit to a textbook standard your body may disagree with that and you have to compensate.
 
tl;dr There is no one way of determining size for everyone.

Bra-spiration Monday

Braspirationmonday

My theme this week is luxury fancifulness. Not your everyday bra. Note: I save these photos over months so while I do my best to attribute every photo sometimes I can’t remember where they came from.

Screenshot 2016-03-18 21.53.41

La Perla

Screenshot 2016-03-18 21.53.55

La Perla

5dc038104a18d6a671ea3684870d2e37d9c9375d--900x1350auto

Playful Promises

0c5bf327308cf8341504237031caf4a15a7ab212--900x1350auto

Playful Promises

2-cute-skirts-788x1024

Made by Nikki

jpg-15-w724

Jean Paul Gaultier

Ikat Foam Cup Boyleston Bra

Ikat-front

Now I’m settled into the new Arte Crafts office I was able to get some sample sewing done. My new office isn’t huge but there is room for a big cutting table and a dedicated table for my sewing machine so for my project sewn there I choose a foam cup bra. I used Orange Lingerie’s Boylston pattern.

I trimmed the seam allowances off the foam cups and sewed them together with a slightly less dense satin stitch as I posted previously. The fabric is a ikat print chintz. It has zero stretch. Originally I bought it from Downtown LA to make a top but the print has a flaw that would be more noticeable in a larger garment. So I thought it would make a pretty bra. The powernet, 1/2″ elastic and hook and eye I dyed a long time ago before I even sold bra making supplies. I used RIT dyes and you can see the stitching did not dye at all. (Almost all of the hooks I now stock dye all the way through thread and all)

Ikat-

The mix of different blues in this project made it hard to thread match and I changed colors part way through the project to have it match better. The bridge and cradle was lined with non stretch cup lining which I dyed to match using the same dye formula. The pattern only suggests lining the bridge but because I was using a woven I underlined the cradle also. This does affect the fit of the band so if you are doing this you need to lengthen the band to compensate for the reduced amount of stretch since the only stretch will come from the powernet.

Ikat-black

Overall I’m pretty happy with the way this bra turned out however it is smaller (even compensating for the reduced stretch) than the Marlborough of the same size so that is something to consider also. The hook and eyes came out a little messy I need to resit down with my own post about sewing on bra back closures SUCCESSFULLY and follow them. I have been rushing to finish my last few bras just so I can get finished object applause and have been messing up the one skill I used to feel so confident about.

Bra-spiration Monday

 

BraspirationmondayWhen I was a student at FIDM in Los Angeles we were responsible for creating at least 1 pages of inspiration images per week. Now with computers this is made so much easier than before when it was magazines, scissors and rubber cement.

Here is what is inspiring me this week. I’m loving the strappy details this week. Which I feel can work for ALL body sizes.

V451641_OM_FV451641_OM_BV451641_OF_F

V453721_OM_FV453721_OF_FV453721_OM_B

pr_213284_1X_256000_OUTFITimage_originallovemark-elle-macpherson-intimates-standard-600x600